Wednesday, August 30, 2006

MY Friend Steve Hill and I were reminiscing about Dr Corts and then Steve emailed me this he received from Mark's son, Jon Corts. I thought it was great and Steve thought it would be ok for me to share it.

Dear Friend:

This evening, shortly before 7PM, my beloved father passed away. He loved life and lived it to its fullest. He loved God and served him wholeheartedly. He loved his wife, children, and grandchildren with heart and soul. He dedicated his life to the people of Calvary Baptist Church, and knew each of the 6,000+ members by name.


He and my mom fought valiantly against a debilitating series of physical setbacks over the past 15 years, and they both faced each day with faith, hope, and courage. My dad was the eternal optimist; even this evening when death knocked at the door, when my brother asked dad about the pain (which had been severe for the past 24 hours), dad answered 'Minutely better.' And my dad never gave up. He was able to hear my oldest sister's voice via cell phone as she desperately tried to travel home, acknowledged her twice with a grunt, then breathed his last breath only seconds later.


He was a great man and a good man. Great in the sense that he led people with a servants heart, as Christ did. Good in the sense that, in my 38 years, I never heard him curse, and only twice really saw him mad.
Once over shoe polish and once over a slammed door (both my fault!!).


Finally, he was the greatest dad on the planet. He taught me everything I know about fathering the four children that my wife and I are so blessed to have. He knew when to listen, when to offer advice, when not to offer advice, when to step in and support, and when to sit back and cheer from the sidelines. He was a phenomenal role model; my hero, my friend.


Not a day will pass when I won't reflect on the fun-loving, courageous, inspiring, godly man I call my dad - Charles Mark Corts - and miss him with every ounce of my being.


His son.


Jon M. Corts

*************************************************************************************

(Steve Hill also related the following to me and I wanted to share it with you)

Right after Mark retired, the men of Calvary invited him to come speak to a men's breakfast. We felt that during his many years of Bible study and prayer, we'd pose a difficult question to him and so we asked:

"What is the meaning of life?" We went on to clarify: "Why are we here?"

He didn't hesitate, but quickly gave us just two words: "KNOW GOD".

At first it seemed too simple to be correct. We always tend to over complicate the truth of God's nature. I would have gone into some speech about being in relationship with God, spending time with Him, praying and fasting, etc. But all of that is already contained in those simple, but profound words.

To know God, we have to first believe, not only in His existence (Satan does that). But we must trust Jesus to save us before we can bridge that vast cavern created between us and God by our sin. It all starts there.

As the relationship continues, we do have to study his Word to understand His nature and His will for our lives, as revealed by the Holy Spirit, through the reading of scripture by a believer. We have to not only pray to Him, but have to be still and listen.

His word sometimes comes as a whisper or sometimes in the roar of a tornado (personal experience). But He does speak and touch us constantly as a living being, parent, friend, creator, etc. To the extent that we find ourselves "knowing God" and growing in that Knowledge through personal experience, we have purpose in life that transends all fame, fortune, or any other measures the world would call success.

Dr. Mark Corts lived a life that revolved around knowing God and drawing others into a desire to know Him for themselves. He truly practiced what he preached. And that's why we listened, some 60 guys at six oclock in the morning.

We drug ourselves to the scout building before the sun came up to hear Mark sum up His life in two simple words. And not one of us regreted it. And now we'll gather in his honor to worship together next Saturday.

But we won't be there to focus on Mark Corts. He wouldn't want it that way. We'll be there to see if we can follow Mark's example and get to know God just a little bit better.

And I don't consider this a farewell occasion. If I hear my name called as I enter the lobby of heaven, I'm going to look for that familier, smiling face, the twinkling eye, quick wit, and gentle handshake of Dr. Mark Corts. Because I know he'll be able to point the way to Jesus. After all, he's been doing it the whole time I knew him here on earth!

Steve Hill <><

No comments: